One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
— gluten-free & dairy free —
‘Tis the season! Chestnuts are dropping all around us, here in the Cévenne mountains… and we’ll be there to pick them up so. Chestnut purée, here we come ! Recipes such as these raviolis, made of chestnut flour are another way to shine a spotlight on this less common gluten-free food.
- 220g chestnut flour
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 Tbsp sweet rice flour
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- scant 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs (plus 1 for the wash)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- water, as needed
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Make a well, into which you’ll crack the eggs and add the oil.
- Using your fingers, begin to create a dough, adding small quantities of water as necessary, until you can form one, uniform ball.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll the dough out as thinly as possible.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut circles (8cm diameter) and set aside.
- Using a dumpling maker, add a small amount of the filling of your choice to each circle. Paint the edges with egg wash, and fold in half to close. Apply sufficient pressure to seal well.
- Reserve at least one portion in the freezer for a future meal. Boil remaining raviolis 5-8 minutes in a large quantity of salted, boiling water. Serve with the sauce of your choice.
On completion of cooking school in 2018, Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In her 19th century home made of stone, she teaches clients to reclaim healthful culinary traditions from the past. Jan also hosts visitors to the region, ensuring that their dietary restrictions -- be they gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP -- are respected to a T.