One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
Citrus Tuna Tartar
Stock up on vitamins C and D in this combination of tuna, avocado, and mandarine orange slices.
- juice of one lime
- juice of one lemon
- green onion, chiffonnade
- cilantro, chiffonnade
- 2 avocados, diced and sprinkled with lemon juice
- 1 mandarine orange, peeled, deveined, and split into segments**
- 180g albacore tuna loin
** You can also use canned mandarine oranges.
- Combine lime and lemon juice and set aside. (If using canned mandarine oranges, add 1/2 of the liquid from the can to this mixture.)
- Remove tuna from the fridge / freezer and, using a very sharp knife, cut into a medium dice. Combine with green onion, cilantro, and juice mixture. Salt to taste and reserve in fridge.
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pit. Cut avocado meat into a medium dice and sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
- Plate using a plating ring. Fill to 1/2 full with diced avocado, pressing down with a spoon to make sure that the full ring shape is obtained. Add a next layer of the tuna mixture, gently raising the ring if necessary. Lay mandarine orange slices in a pattern as the top layer.
- Garnish as desired and serve chilled.
On completion of cooking school in 2018, Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In her 19th century home made of stone, she teaches clients to reclaim healthful culinary traditions from the past. Jan also hosts visitors to the region, ensuring that their dietary restrictions -- be they gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP -- are respected to a T.