One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
GF / DF Fig Cake
This cake works with whatever fruit you choose to put on display. I’ve used it with apples, pears, plums, and now figs… and it NEVER disappoints!
- 125 ml olive oil
- 70g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6-7 figs, cut in halves and/or sections
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Cream together olive oil and brown sugar to obtain a smooth teture.
- Add eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a second bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Pour dry mixture into wet mixture and stir until the dry mixture is no longer visible.
- Pour batter into a cake pan and decorate the top with cut figs, in whatever pattern makes you smile.
- Bake 20-30 minutes at 350*F, until even the batter around the fruit is cooked and browning.
- Allow to cool, or serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
On completion of cooking school in 2018,
Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In the kitchen of her 18th c. stone house, she helps people to adopt (or better adhere to) a gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP diet. Jan is also the producer of the podcast « Bien vivre, sans gluten, en France. »