One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
GF/DF Pastry Cream
Here’s an excellent GF/DF version of this “classic” pastry ingredient.
- 400ml coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 35g coconut sugar / maple syrup
- 30g tapioca starch
- vanilla powder
** Use this recipe with some strawberries on top of a
SWEET POTATO BROWNIE to make a simple “fraisier” dessert.
- Prepare a pastry bag with a medium round tip, in a large jar (that will go in the fridge).
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vanilla powder and coconut milk to boil. Turn off immediately and allow to infuse.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the tapioca starch and again, mix well.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture into the coconut milk.
- Over low heat, use a spatula to continue to stir the mixture until it thickens.
- Pour into the pastry bag and allow to cool in the fridge.
- Use to garnish tartlets or other desserts. In an air-tight container, the pastry cream will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.
On completion of cooking school in 2018, Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In her 19th century home made of stone, she teaches clients to reclaim healthful culinary traditions from the past. Jan also hosts visitors to the region, ensuring that their dietary restrictions -- be they gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP -- are respected to a T.