One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
Mediterranean Spatch-cocked Chicken
This make-ahead meal saves you time without scrimping on the taste. Delicious, juicy chicken with crispy flavourful skin… all without the 3-hour commitment of roasting a whole chicken.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 lemon – zest and juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tps thyme
- 1 tps rosemary
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 80ml olive oil
- (seasonal root vegetables?)
- Using kitchen scissors, remove the spine from your chicken. Turn it over and flatten it in your oven-safe dish. (If you’re putting it straight into the oven, fill the remainder of the dish with root vegetables, all around the edges of the chicken.).
- In a food processor, mix all of your remaining ingredients.
- Pour the mixture onto the chicken and rub it all over, making sure to apply to all of the hidden corners (under the wings, etc). Cover and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it in the oven.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400*F. Bake your chicken for 40-45 minutes. Leave covered for the first 15 minutes, but then uncovered for the remainder of the cooking time so that the skin becomes brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and check your temperature in the thickest part of a thigh to ensure it’s cooked through. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then serve hot.
On completion of cooking school in 2018, Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In her 19th century home made of stone, she teaches clients to reclaim healthful culinary traditions from the past. Jan also hosts visitors to the region, ensuring that their dietary restrictions -- be they gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP -- are respected to a T.