One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
Olive & Sardine Bread
— gluten-free & dairy-free —
This savoury bread is an excellent starter to any meal.
Moist and full of healthy fats, it goes
especially nicely with a glass of kombucha!
- 1 can of sardines
- 80g green olives, chopped coarsely
- 60g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 60g rice flour
- 60g buckwheat flour
- 60g tapioca starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp herbes de Provence
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (mi-fort)
- 125ml coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Strain the liquid from the sardines and, using your fingertips, break them into a crumbly mixture. Strain the liquid from the tomatoes and chop them coarsely. Chop the olives coarsely. Set aside.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients into one bowl and mix well. Combine all of the wet ingredients into a second bowl and mix well.
- Pour the dry-ingredient mixture onto the wet ingredients, and stir into a thick batter.
- Pour the sardine / tomato / olive mixture onto the batter and stir just until equally distributed.
- Pour into bread pans, large or small, and bake at 350*F for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top begins to brown.
- Remove from bread pans immediately. Cool before serving.
On completion of cooking school in 2018,
Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In the kitchen of her 18th c. stone house, she helps people to adopt (or better adhere to) a gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP diet. Jan is also the producer of the podcast « Bien vivre, sans gluten, en France. »