One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
Sweet Potato Brownies
Who doesn’t love a fudgy brownie at the close of a meal? This one uses sweet potato puree to create that soft texture.
- 300g sweet potato purée
- 200g dark chocolate
- 150ml olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 200g brown sugar
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 50g rice flour
- 100g almond powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Melt the olive oil and chocolate in a “bain marie” (ie by placing the oil and chocolate squares in a glass or stainless steel bowl, resting on top of a pot with 2″ of water that will boil underneath it).
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs, vanilla and sugar together.
- In a third mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Firstly, add your sweet potato purée to the melted chocolate mixture and stir to obtain a homogenous texture.
- Secondly, add the dry ingredient mixture to the chocolate mixture.
- Thirdly, add the creamed sugar and fat mixture to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a cake pan or moulds and bake 20-35 minutes, depending on the size of your products.
- Allow to cool completely before attempting to remove from the pan. (These brownies are VERY crumbly when just out of the oven, but they solidify nicely on cooling.)
On completion of cooking school in 2018,
Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In the kitchen of her 18th c. stone house, she helps people to adopt (or better adhere to) a gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP diet. Jan is also the producer of the podcast « Bien vivre, sans gluten, en France. »