One of my favourite recipes…
To keep you busy until you’re able to visit me in the Teaching Kitchen,
try this gluten-free / dairy-free, Paleo, and/or AIP recipe that is part of my weekly repertoire.
— gluten-free / Paleo / AIP —
This soup is such a comfort as the days get shorter and the weather turns cooler. Richly fragrant, onion soup is a perfect marriage of the sweetness of onion and the richness of beef stock. Serve with GF garlic and herb crackers for a little bit of crunch!
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 800g onions (approx. 4 large or 6 medium)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 125 ml red wine*
- 2l beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme (or a small handful of branches in a sachet)
- salt (to taste)
*When cooking with wine, all of the alcohol will evaporate in the boiling process. As such, adding wine to the mix does not add alcohol… just unique flavours.
- Slice onions finely ; chop garlic
- Sauté onions 30 minutes or until lightly caramelized. Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme
- Deglaze with red wine and allow to reduce 5 minutes. (The alcohol will burn off here.)
- Add stock and let simmer 30-45 minutes on low heat.
On completion of cooking school in 2018, Jan Steele (aka La Goose) relocated to the beautiful Cévenne mountains in the South of France. In her 19th century home made of stone, she teaches clients to reclaim healthful culinary traditions from the past. Jan also hosts visitors to the region, ensuring that their dietary restrictions -- be they gluten-free, Paleo, or AIP -- are respected to a T.